Thread: Engine Help!
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
born2drv
Stock

born2drv is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Help!

OK This is my dilema.... I've had a supra in storage for 4 years waiting to fix up (88 turbo). My dad decides to "suprise me" and get the tranny and engine replaced (gets "low milage used" ones) ... unfortunately it is garbage, and now I have no idea on the history/condition of the engine.

When I drive the car for more than 40 miles (once it has gotten fairly warmed up) the thing overheats like crazy. I just put in a new radiator, but that didn't help. It's not the thermostat because I can see STEAM coming out of the overflow tube into the antifreeze overflow tank. Suffice to say I stopped driving it now. When it is very hot, it does not want to start at all.

When the car is cold, the engine starts up easily and runs very good and strong. Unfortunately the place that replaced my engine and tranny are not very reputable and I've given up working with them.

So what should I do now? Should I just replace it with another used engine from someone more REPUTABLE?

Should I rebuild the complete engine?

Should I just have the head taken off and machined and get someone to put in a high performance head gasket + ARP studs and assume the engine will be fine? (since it was "low mileage" and runs very well when cold)?

I'm in the Los Angeles area.... if anyone can recommend a good engine rebuilder or even a fellow Supra-enthuisiast-mechanic that would like to help me out I would be forever indebted to them! (I also sell jewelry and can give them some jewelry hookups!)

Unfortunately my budget is really not too big and I definately can not afford to get screwed over again. Any advice would be appreciated. PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

Last edited by born2drv; 10-19-2005 at 07:57 PM.
born2drv is offline   Reply With Quote