View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #45
TOMDYE
Stock

TOMDYE is on a distinguished road
Default "which engine is the best..."

I have a similar question as "ochowdero" in "which engine is the best engine for little money, fast, durable?". Thanks for starting this thread and those who provided answers, namely MA70-3.0GT and CRE.

My baby is an '89 Metal-flake Gray, Turbo, Targa, 126K miles. Body and Interior are immaculate; the 7MGTE engine is tired, burns some oil and recently suffered the BHG issue.
I was thinking about swapping out the 7MGTE with the 2JZGTE-ct12b, but this thread convinced me not to go that route.
My question now is where to find a solid, remanufactured engine (Long Block). The Toyota dealer wants 3,700.00, a local, parts distributor (Houston, TX) wants 2,600.00. I have talked to other parts distributors on the Internet, which generally have used engines for anywhere from 1,100.00 to 2,000.00.
The money is not an issue, as I know I will need to add about 800.00 to 1,000.00 for the missing pieces the Long-Block does not come with.
Does anybody have a referral for a engine distributor that is honest, fair, and stands by their products? Preferrably, someone that you have done business with.
Are there any recommendations for extras that I can do or add to this project during the motor install? I’d like to bump the performance up (today I am at stock, except a K&N air filter, 3in down-pipe, hi-flow cat & 3in exhaust). I am thinking perhaps a waste-gate by-pass valve, maybe a new Turbo, hi-performance intercooler. Any suggestions are appreciated, and please provide an referral to a reputable performance distributor to make these purchases (“Stillin” is excessive in cost!).
This is my second ’89 T&T, and I have loved the ride since 1994.
Thank a lot.
TOMDYE is offline   Reply With Quote