View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

MA70-3.0GT is on a distinguished road

cre, all this talk of f-cons etc, is that really necessary for 400bhp? I was under the impression that using the lexus kvafm/custom air screw, uprated fuel pump, adjustable fpr and 550+ injectors would be a good starting point on a stock GTE motor with the turbo wound up, while keeping the fuel cut feature, and then when funds allowed, add a decent turbo elbow, larger I/C and hard pipes etc just leaving the boost as 11-odd psi before finally uprating the turbo...

Would that not be sufficient to make 400bhp once the turbo was replaced & boost increased? IMO I'd feel happier using a similar setup & keeping the fuel cut for any unforeseen fuel system malfunctions.

I was reading this yesterday... http://www.suprasonic.org/lexusriemer/lexusnotes.html

Seemed to suggest that with that done around 330-340 would be realised with relatively low boost and with potential for more in future (I was getting near on bone stock hardware at the limit of the turbo's capacity, and running into fuel cut at higher revs on occasion, hence I'm on the lookout for the aforementioned injectors & afm as a precaution with the new turbo)

The only potential issue I can see with this, is that it could cause a rich condition on cold starts before the O2 sensor is in the game. However I don't see this as a major problem as cold engines like a richer mixture anyhow, and the O2 would warm up & the system go open loop in about 5 minutes anyway?
(and if it proved TOO rich in certain circumstances I'd think you could devise a switch/resistor setup to disable the CS Injector from the driver's seat & not throw a code?)
Obviously as injector sizes and boost levels increase the f-con etc would eventually become necessary as the closed-loop richness would become too much even with the CSI disabled & you'd get bad starting & flooding, but my point is that for the lexus & 550's etc mod and an upper goal of 400bhp, wouldn't the stock ECU be able to handle it?

'89 Honda NC27 400, NC23 cams, open pipe, PC36a shock & possibly Showa USD forks...

'83 Yamaha 29R XJ750E-II, number 69 off the line, only runner in the country? Original except Koni shocks

'95 Honda PC26 CB500R, Winter hack, hateful, trying to sell it
I'm not paranoid, they really ARE after me!!!

Last edited by MA70-3.0GT; 03-15-2013 at 04:32 PM.
MA70-3.0GT is offline   Reply With Quote