View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

MA70-3.0GT is on a distinguished road

For your goal of 400hp & minimal cost the 7M-GTE is the way to go IMO. you should be able to pick up an otherwise good motor (or ideally complete GTE equipped car for the ECU, loom, KVAFM etc to break & recoup costs) real cheap with a BHG, You'd want to replace that anyway for peace of mind, stock will be fine for 400hp provided you...

Clean everything operating room clean

Have head & block faces checked & possibly skimmed by machine shop (IF the head needs a skim make sure the rear timing cover is fitted too so it doesn't hang up)

Fit a quality head gasket (OEM composite type is fine & less hassle as metal ones require extensive polishing of mating surfaces)

Ensure your head bolts are either in good condition, no thread "galling", or better still replace with new aftermarket bolts or studs. (also clean threads in the block & ensure no dirt/oil in bottom of holes to affect torque readings)

Ensure that whatever fixings you use, they're torqued in the right sequence & to the right spec (this can differ with lubricants too, stock bolts with 10w40 oil is 78lb/ft IIRC but do research and get this step right as the wrong torque is what causes most of the BHGs in the first place.

Once you have the motor buttoned up nicely you can then look into upgraded turbos, injectors etc to get you to that 400 mark.

Although I've over-simplified things here it's not too hard, but really you may ultimately be better off & make things easier getting a turbo car to start with & using yours for parts (I.E. get a runner with shagged trim/bolt on panels etc cheap).

Also to throw another spanner in the works, you may want 400hp, but I ran a stock turbo & injectors and few other minor mods at 12psi and found it was more than quick enough Can't have been more than 320-340??? and effectively cost nothing, no injectors or bigger turbo

'89 Honda NC27 400, NC23 cams, open pipe, PC36a shock & possibly Showa USD forks...

'83 Yamaha 29R XJ750E-II, number 69 off the line, only runner in the country? Original except Koni shocks

'95 Honda PC26 CB500R, Winter hack, hateful, trying to sell it
I'm not paranoid, they really ARE after me!!!

Last edited by MA70-3.0GT; 03-13-2013 at 08:34 PM.
MA70-3.0GT is offline   Reply With Quote