Thread: New '98 Supra
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmeyer183 View Post
…Im looking for … around 600 rwhp...I have a neighbor who is pretty good with cars and I have been talking to him about it. Basically to reiterate what he said, "you can easily get 50-100 extra hp off a stock with simple modifications. Anything past that, you need to start upgrading internals.
I agree with warmkop – you’re neighbor is completely full of it. Obviously he knows nothing about the 2jz-gte – the oem 2jz-gte internals are very reliable up to 1000hp (of course, using race fuel and high boost from a large single turbo and large fuel injectors).

However, your neighbor was correct that you can get about 100 extra hp off stock with simple modifications. Would you consider this as a starting point?
Quote:
…You will need tochange out the rear axel…
Wrong. By saying this your neighbor proves he not only is ignorant about the 2jz-gte, he’s ignorant about the Mkiv Supra Turbo as a whole. The oem rear axles are good to over 1200rwhp. Yes. That is not a typo. 1200rwhp. Really. Let me know if you’d like me to help …um… educate your neighbor about the legendary Toyota Supra Turbo.
J

Quote:
…different intack plenums…
For 600rwhp (6spd), your neighbor is also NOT correct about this. The oem intake plenum is good to about 750rwhp (translation 882hp at the crank. Again – Really and 100% for sure.).

Quote:
…throttle body…
For 600rwhp (6spd), your neighbor is also NOT correct about this. The oem throttle body is also good to about 750rwhp.

Quote:
…new injectors, fuel rails, fuel pressure regulators…
For 600rwhp (6spd), your neighbor actually IS partially correct about this. The oem fuel system is only good to about 525rwhp. However, the 2jz-gte only has ONE fuel rail, and ONE fuel pressure regulator.
J Also, these are not the only components that need to be replaced for 600rwhp. For 600rwhp you would need (As warmkop mentioned) either a complete aftermarket fuel system (which includes these items and many other items that are required) –OR- a large methanol injection system that will not only supply charge-air cooling, it will also supply about 75rwhp of additional fuel.

Quote:
…different clutch…
Agreed. (Finally!) Score one for the neighbor. The oem 2jz-gte clutch is only long-term-reliable up to about 400rwhp. What’s that - 10 completely wrong, and only 1 right so far?

Quote:
…flywheels…
Wrong. The oem flywheel is fine up to 750rwhp or so, together with an appropriate clutch.

Quote:
…driveshaft…
Wrong. The oem driveshaft is fine up to 1000hp, as long as you don’t try to drag race it with R-spec roadrace tires. ...and even then, the real problem is the subframe bushings and not the driveshaft.

Quote:
…pistons and rods…
Again, he’s completely full of crap here…however, he’s not nearly as far off base as the Sonyps307 dude.

Quote:
…spark plugs, etc..." his list went on, but he says with these mods you can easily handle 800 hp if not more...
WELL he’s partly correct because there actually is a set of mods that can get you to 800hp and much more if you want…HOWEVER that list of mods is definitely NOT the list he gave you. Instead, start with warmkop's list, and let us know if you have any questions.

Oh, last but not least you said:
Quote:
Now I am perfectly happy with how it is and how it drives since it will be a daily driver
...please note that in general, the more you modify it the less reliable and the less comfortable it will become. Modifications are essentially a partial reengineering an entire (currently-working-well) mechanical system. Well-paid and well-qualified automotive engineers from Toyota designed everything in the Mkiv Supra Turbo to work together as-is. If you mess with one thing it can affect dozens of other parts of the system. Small modifications will likely only have a small overall impact. More extensive modifications definitely will have a more extensive overall impact. Put another way, you can get a "1001 hp" Bugatti Veyron from the factory, where the entire car is already properly engineered to manage that 1001hp...but it's a $1M+ car. Although some of that price goes towards profit, most of it actually goes towards covering engineering costs and materials. As you begin to modify your Toyota Supra Turbo, please keep all of this in mind.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-22-2013 at 04:16 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote