View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #23
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Codyjamesuno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
If that's 350rwhp, then that's at least 28.7% more hp than stock (350rwhp /.85 = 411.76hp vs 320hp oem spec - please feel free to double-check my math). This means that your rear rims should have been about that much wider than stock...which is already about a 12" wide rim (11.5" would be fine, since that's the max that fits under the oem fenders). That'd be about 315mm-width rubber.

You can't run oem width rear rims and oem width rear rubber unless you're running oem rwhp. I know a guy that tried to run his stock rims at BPU on a MINT/PRISTINE <20K miles '98 Mkiv Supra, and within hours he ended up smashing it sideways into a big rock in a ditch. That's just ONE example of many. Every single component on the ENTIRE MKIV SUPRA TURBO has been spec'd and designed by Toyota to work together by highly qualified automotive engineers with decades of training and experience. You just can't go bumping up the hp and expect nothing else NEEDS to change. When you go BPU or beyond, one of the things that NEEDS to change is the rear rim+tire width. In turn, when that changes, the front rim width and front tire width must change together. It's like a symphony - you can't go replacing a violin with an amplified electric guitar and expect Beethoven's 5th to still sound right.

If the rims you think you "want" don't come in the right size, then don't buy them. It's that simple. There are LOTS of companies making LOTS of styles of rims that do come in 11.5"+ widths. Please let me know if you need help finding what you're looking for.

After you figure out how wide the rubber is that you need to run on the rear, then you can pick the front rim width and the front rubber width in proportion.
Ok, lets say I decide to go with the 11 inch rear wheel, what size should the front be? Would I then run something in the 300's for a rear tire?

Thanks

Cody
Codyjamesuno is offline   Reply With Quote