View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
Aero
Stock

Aero is on a distinguished road
Default Tuning/Piggyback Questions

I have several questions I want to try to get sorted out. If the answers already exist, which I'm sure some do, please feel free to redirect me as I know how aggravating it can be to constantly repeat the same answer over and over. (But please don't think I'm just asking to keep from having to find them on my own, I have looked, I've just gotten mixed results. I thought if I asked here I might could get a definite answer.)

First of all, my current setup: I've got a 1989 Turbo R-154 with a full 3" exhaust from the turbo back, stock ct26, 2.5" ic pipes, and open air filter. Eventually I would like to upgrade my turbo, probably to the 57 trim, but I'm still considering options so opinions and advice are welcome on this topic too.

1. My first question is regarding the ever so famous lex+550 injector upgrade. I know in order to use the lexus AFM, the injectors have to be upgraded, pretty sure that dead horse has definitely been beaten. But if I upgrade to the 550 injectors and get a fuel controller, is the lexus AFM still necessary? Would a fuel controller be able to adjust the AFR enough to keep it from running too rich all the time?

2. Also, if I do upgrade my injectors, do I also have to upgrade my fuel pump and get a FPR? I've heard that the stock fuel pump is sufficient for the 550's, but I'd like to be sure.

3. I want to get a good piggyback to make sure everything is tuned properly. So far from what I've researched, I like the safc neo. However, I also want an electronic boost controller. I know the Maft Pro is capable of doing both, but I don't really want to convert to S/D. Furthermore, I'm not very experienced with tuning and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and therefore I'm definitely not ready for a standalone. Is there another piggyback that I can use to tune my car that also has a built in boost controller? Like I said, I'd like to keep the KVAFM. Or, if there isn't a good option for a unit that can do both, can anybody recommend a good electronic boost controller that I can use in addition to the safc neo? I've read about scramble boost and turbo time out features and they both interest me, but aren't necessarily deal breakers either way.

4. With a fuel controller (or a boost controller) will I still hit fuel cut?

5. With a fuel controller (or a boost controller) will I be able to use an actual BOV instead of the stock BPV without the stalling issue between shifts? I'm not really after this upgrade in particular, but if my stock BPV ever craps out in the future I want to know what other BOV options I could consider.

6. While we're on the topic, are there any advantages a BOV has over a BPV besides the cute little whistle? What about vice versa?
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote