View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
tingboy
Stock

tingboy is on a distinguished road
Default Backpressure to damage car?

Hi,

Been quite awhile since I've been here, and lo-and-behold, my login still works!

Background: I've had my 1997 MKIV NA for awhile and (10 years), and now want to upgrade to a turbo (not engine swap to GTE). So, i'm doing as much reading and researching as i can to mitigate any risk(s) involved etc. I want the build/upgrade to be as "seamless" as possible. Sort of a plug in play. Having said that, I'd like to keep everything intact - my catalytic converter to be specific. i know i know, not very smart if i want to go turbo since exhaust needs to be expelled quicker, however, i really don't want to deal with the hassle of taking everything apart every other year (smog check), or dealing with getting pulled over and getting a ticket for a failed visual inspection etc.

Question: Will the back pressure from keeping the cats in any way would harm the engine/turbo?

I looked around on several sites during research and could not find a clear answer. The subject seems to go off in a tangent with people stating what they should and should not do instead of whether or not it would actually cause damage. maybe because it won't? figured there are a few experts here and would try my luck.

Thanks in advance!
tingboy is offline   Reply With Quote