View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by consol1 View Post
I am looking for threads or advice from knowledgeable members of this form. I just purchased 1994 twin turbo from it's original owner. I want to know what mods I should start with…
http://mkiv.com/93-98-twin-turbo-faqs-2/#bpu1
Quote:
1. As much WHP that can be produced on Supreme Fuel…
What is “Supreme Fuel”? If that’s pump gas, then you need to reconsider this criteria OR forget the idea of getting a Supra. A Supra only *really* performs with high boost from the turbo(s)…and high boost on pump gas detonates. You need to consider methanol injection or race fuel if you want to experience the true performance capabilities of a 3L turbocharged engine.
Quote:
…2. As much WHP that is still useable and still dependable…
Sorry that’s a catch-22. The more hp you squeeze out of it, the less reliable it will be. You have to decide on your pain threshold and what you’re willing to give up for more hp.

Quote:
…Don't think about cost. I am not interested in money or cost here. I am interested in what works. In my experience people who chose a cheeper solution (because they are concerned about cost) are never truly satisfied nor does the solution work in the long run. That is not me.
Ok.
Quote:
I don't want people to advise me on what they have read or think would be cool. What they have seen in a mag or at a car show. I want to know from those who own, have done, and have learned what works... Please! You are the best source!!!!! You knowledge is the most valuable. …
I’m the owner of a heavily modified Toyota Supra Turbo and I’ve done (and re-done, and re-done) most of the work on it myself.

As I linked to above, you can either start with “BPU”, which is a good, proven set of mods. You can spend a lot of time tweaking BPU to get incremental performance improvements, but your next jump won’t be till you dump the oem twins and the oem fuel injectors and install a mid-size (~67mm) single turbo. However, there’s a big jump in cost with this step because you need a fuel system, a turbo kit, and some electronics to control it all. I can get you pointed in the right direction if you post up your thoughts on not using “Supreme Fuel” (whatever that is), and whether you think you want to make the jump straight to single turbo or if you want to try out BPU.

P.S. Agreed – I hope you did a compression test on that Supra you bought.

Here's a vid on doing a leakdown test (sorry about the ad):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgrfT0LFMhc
(it gets interesting at about the 7 minute mark for compression test, and about 13 minute mark for the leakdown)

Here's another vid (a bit more concise):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofSiT...feature=fvwrel

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-16-2012 at 01:21 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote