View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
joebuffalo
Stock

joebuffalo is on a distinguished road
Default Headgasket question?

I have a 1989 w/7Mgte turbo motor. I just re worked the whole motor about 18.000 miles ago....complete overhaul including head rework. (stock head gasket new bolts but only torqued to 58 ft lbs) Recently I have been losing engine coolant and running rough. I pulled the top end off and found a broken insulator on #6 plug. We did a compression check and all cylinders checked between 115-120. replaced the plug and re-torqued head bolts again only to 58 ft lbs. Only 3 head bolts (around #6 moved at all and then only slightly) We also found a small leak on the little cooling hose under the thermostat housing. Engine runs smoth now but I still seem to be losing engine coolant and running a little hot. Thermostat replaced no change.I don't see any white steam in the exhaust but can feel a little moisture. Is it possible that I am leaking a small amount by the headgasket? If so does anybody think re-torqing the head to 72 lbs will help? (just discovered this forum and all the great helpful info yesterday!!) Is there any way to tell for sure if the gasket has blown again?
joebuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote