View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Wileyk24
Stock

Wileyk24 is on a distinguished road
Angry Yet Another Blown Head Gasket

Hey guys, bad news. Just blew my bone stock 87 turbo supra head gasket on the way home from work yesterday. The car gave me the classic signs. It began by spitting coolant out of the overflow bottle after long drives, eventually my temp guage started acting up, and finally when it blew when I was driving it down the road. (It overheated, blew white smoke out the exhaust, and blew coolant all over the road where I pulled over). Doing my research now and getting a list of everything I need to tackle this job on my own. I am not a mechanic, just a DIY'er who has learned everything I know by reading the manuals/forums/and by getting my hands dirty. I know my way around cars enough to try and tackle this job on my own. It will be my first head gasket job. If I need them, I have friends who are certified mechanics who will be able to bail me out/loan tools and assistance if I get into a bind. So lets cut to the chase.

I have a bone stock 7m-gte. I plan on replacing all gaskets and seals with OEM toyota parts and getting ARP head bolts to hold it all together. I have no plans for high boost or upgrades with this car. While in there I am going to do a timing belt job as well. I plan on replacing the belt, tensioners, and possibly water pump after a visual inspection. I have a haynes manual, links to the online TSRM manual, and you guys to help guide me throughout. I am not a cheapo/hack/half ass-er etc..While I am in there I will replace any and all things necessary to get this car back up to 100% factory or better. All tips tricks and pointers are welcome. I have done tons of searching and will be doing plenty more as I go. I have a second car, so this job will be done slowly and correctly. I will be taking pics and posting as I go. I will remove the head and take it too a machine shop for milling, cleaning, and I am contemplating a valve job as well since it will be out of the car(thoughts?).

First things first, I need a head gasket kit. I want an oem toyota
Head Gasket Kit: 04112-42023. Can anyone please recommend someone I should purchase this from? Preferrably someone who will give me a good deal and who supports this forum. I want to order this immediately. Also, I need recommendations on a timing belt kit as well(should I just go with Toyota again)?

Second: if anyone recommends any particular order of stripping this engine down I am all ears. I just pulled my intake side of the engine apart a few weeks ago to pull my starter and replace the contacts inside it. (I had the classic turn the key and hear a click syndrome, once the contacts were replaced...problem solved. 100% worth the 30 bucks or so for the kit online, just took lots of labor to get down in there). So I am pretty familiar with breaking down that side of the engine for sure.

Third: I have made a serious effort to get this car all tuned up prior to this event. Here is a list of things I have done to the car so everyone is up to speed: Air filter, spark plugs(Iridium NGK), spark plug wires(NGK), valve cover gaskets, fuel filter, thermostat, radiator cap, Coolant temperature sensor, and coolant temperature switch have all been replaced since last December(2011). I also bought a silicone hose kit off from ebay(26 hose kit, $279.00, Samco I believe) to replace all of my worn, cracked, and dry hoses throughout the engine. Even off ebay, they are leap years better than my stock hoses were.

Thats enough for now. After some input, I am ordering my parts on Monday. Thanks in advance, hope you enjoy this post as we go and it helps others in the future. I know I lean on these forums all of the time.

Kris
Wileyk24 is offline   Reply With Quote