View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrade View Post
i always thought you could use the motors serial since dealers need to keep record if there has been work done( for warrenty) guss not
That's done solely by VIN.... unless the dealer felt like adding more to the service notes. Honestly, a lot of dealers don't even add to the vehicles service history records after such a large number of years.... that's all assuming that a dealer/Toyota service center did all the work in the car's past to begin with.

It's not unlike the part numbers you'll find all over the car if you start taking things apart. There's a part number on every piece inside the climate control but no one outside of big T can find them in their system them and I'm sure only certain departments can do anything with them. The only people big T corporate thinks needs to be able to lookup and order or identify the little day/night flip switch/lever in the rearview mirror is the factory.

They may have records somewhere with info regarding which engine (by serial number) went into which chassis (by VIN) but if they didn't even bother to scan the '88 TSRM in to the Toyota tech library I'm sure those other records (which are probably asked for a LOT less frequently, if ever) are in mothballs in some massive warehouse with the Arc of the Covenant.

Toyota DOES record this information on newer Toyotas, but I don't believe they started that much before 2000.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote