View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

A resonator is not necessarily a muffler and a muffler is not necessarily a resonator. The simple way to think of it is that a resonator is there to remove specific tones, turbulence or harmonics... That doesn't mean that it actually makes the exhaust any quieter, just smoother. A muffler is employed specifically to reduce volume. These may not reduce drone at all and, depending on the design, often add turbulencs and raduce the flow of an exhaust. Sure, you often see both terms used interchangeably, but if you keep them seperate you're more likely to design a system which you find pleasant.

My personal preference for resonators are Aero Exhaust's AR series. You'd want the AR30 for a 3" exhaust. My preference in mufflers is Borla, anything which uses a straight through design with a SOLID dampening material (ie: spun stainless steel and not fiberglass which degrades quickly).

For the sake of cost effectiveness I suggest you try just adding one component first and then decide is you need the second. I'd start with the resonator if the drone is really bad (which it usually is if your exhaust is bigger than 2.5").
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote