View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #71
Mk2guy
Stock

Mk2guy is on a distinguished road

My pistons were made by Toyota Racing Development they are 85mm wide and give a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio. Toyota made these pistons to compete, using the 5mge, but that was eons ago. I heard reliability would tank if I installed tham...? I was just wondering how bad and if anyone new anyone else that did that. (my hp would be upgraded to about 240hp)

On mechrider89,s car, I would just replace the head gasket because it doesn't sound like he over heated the engine. It just sounds like the head gasket went. I depends on valve stem seals, last rebuild, maintanace, basically engine health. Only he would know that.

The one thing I know toyota did was make the torque specs to were you torqued the head to a certain ft lbs and then turned it so many degrees, rather than using the ft lb mark. (such as: 43lbs and then 3/4 turn) You have to watch over torquing the heads though, because I had a guy that over torqued his head bolts and he stretched the threads. (that's bad)

You might want to buy some new head bolts too, but I am pretty confident you just need a new head gasket. I hope you get back up and running soon, these cars are so fun!