View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
carl johansson
3" Exhaust

carl johansson is on a distinguished road
Default Can't get it to go over 400 RPM, Win a Drivers spot in race!

Ok guys,
thaks to Cre and Bryan's help, I have put a cresida block into my 87 supra - 7 MGE NA.

So i tried to fire it up, and it starts, but it won't idle over about 400, and eventually it will die. Pushing on the gas petal will raise it to maybe 500 RPM, but thats it, it will not rev past that. Also, i don't know if it helps, but after 30 seconds of this, the exhaust maniford was so hot it was smoking, and burned my fingers.

Over time most of the uneccisary stuff has been pulled from the engine - we use it in 24 hours of lemons racing, so alot of the vacuum, cold start etc have been removed.

I have checked the distributor position 2X, it seems OK, (using FSM procedure of looking through oil cap filler, seeing the nose of the cam, then backing it up till the mark on the pulley aligns with the 0TDC on the timing belt cover) assuming that the nub on top of the gear that lines up with the mark on the distributor body, well it's not really a nub, but a shallow hole above the gear. . The "nub" is identified in the FSM.

Anyone have any ideas for me to try? Anyone who can get this running correctly, will win a seat as a driver at the next race, (you will have to pay your own travel, but we will cover your entry fees)
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote