View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechrider89 View Post
dsm's aren't completely gutless if you get a turbo'd model! maybe not as fast as your supra (don't know how modded it is) but with a couple bolt-ons and a tune you shouldn't have much problems getting over 350+hp depending on the turbo setup your running..........
No, they're not really all gutless and you can wring some decent power from them... I just get sick of listening to my DSM owner friends and all the online complaining from other owners about how they're always hitching rides because their car broke yet again. 1Gs sucked right off the show room floor (I sold them) and the reliability seems go out the window the minute you start modding any of them. They admit it plenty even on the DSM fan sites. "If you want reliable forget DSM", "Had no problems until the engine just suddenly blew", "not a daily driver, rode my bike all summer", "well if you want it reliable. check it head to toe. and don't mod anything. don't up the boost. simple", "
DSM's arent bad cars untill you throw mods at them. Then you never know if you'll make it home or not.:lol: But I guess that is part of their charm. I know I wouldn't trade mine for anything.", "IMO they're fun, and not reliable.", "mine had crankwalk around 80k somthin miles... but im gettin that fixed", "original owner and I suffered crankwalk at around 65K. The car was bone stock and my driving isn't super aggressive.", "My timing belt went at 95K. Cost me a fortune.". It doesn't take a ton of digging to find a LOT of DSM owners hating on their favorite car. The only ones I really ever see are bone stock, low mileage, female driven. Consumer Reports reports that owner satisfaction (1G and 2G) is typically "lower than average" and reliability "average", naturally that's for stock vehicles. So yeah, you can get power out of them... you can even do it for less money than some platforms, but reliability.... well, you don't get that bad of a rep (even from actual owners) if you're totally awesome (no, it's definitely not because the rest of the world is jealous). I'm no fanboy of any particular car... generally all cars have their short comings and their highlights.

IMO, the FR-S/BRZ is just a bridge between two of the worst fanboy clubs out there: tC and WRX..... Only weaker and with less potential than the WRX and there's really nothing Toyota about it (except that the Toyota naturally gets worse reviews). Just like the tC and WRX they're all going to end up in the hands of punk kids who all shop from the same catalog, buy the exact same mods and cop the same bullshit attitude. I doubt they really handle that much better than a number of older performance cars which have a good deal more power and/or responsiveness but I admit I have yet to drive one. The lower center of gravity is nice but it's not too hard to compensate for in many other vehicles.

I sold my last Supra a while ago and can't say I plan on owning another. I like the MKIV but it's a but heftier than I really like out of my cars and I'm not big on the MKIII for that reason and its lack of reliability. Presently I own a very lightly moded MR-2 Turbo and am presently looking at buying a really well built one. Light, agile and powerful. You can get all three.

At any rate I was just trying to be more cheeky than to actually slam any particular car. But, with the DSM and thus less time actually on the road I'm less likely to get into trouble and the FR-S definitely isn't going to get me pulled over for hitting over 100MPH on an on ramp.... so all in all, either one is less likely to net me another 10pt ticket.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote