View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Question vibrating at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
2nd owner- bought it in 2000 w/ ~ 20K miles.
Yes, vibration reduces substantially when I shift to neutral. Have never checked transmission fluid though I would have expected that mechanics have. "Tooth on starter ring gear on flywheel"... all Greek to me! I guess I can suggest that to a mechanic?
It occurs to me that sometimes vibration seems to worsen when I go from low gas tank level to a fill-up. Then again maybe I'm dreaming.
Hi again ! the flywheel has a ring of teeth around it fanning outwards ( like daisy petals ) this is the means that the engine is turned by the starter motor to start the engine . If one is missing or chipped ( part of the tooth is missing ) , the flywheel is out of balance by one tooth / chip - by diameter of the flywheel and the crankshaft will vibrate , this MAY be the cause , and the fluid in the torque converter may be compensating by moving at greater speed to offset the imbalance , it's only a theory but may also be worth checking by getting underneath the car and removing the plate at the rear of the engine / transmission and turning the crank 360 degrees to check for a missing tooth / chipped tooth .

Last edited by interested!; 06-11-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: extra info
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote