View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #16
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989toyotasupraandpickup View Post
i did not clean the afm at all. i know how delicate that sensor is to certain sprays if not all of them.
That's a relief.

Quote:
should i have put rtv gasket sealer on the gaskets before installing them.
A dressing such as hylomar won't hurt anything and is cheap insurance. Just make sure it's compatible with any materials used on the gasket (such as viton).

Quote:
but for the wideband sensor i have no idea how it is hooked up. i bought the car that way. i will have to get under it and track the wiring.
Rule number one when trying to diagnose a problem on a vehicle: Inspect aftermarket wiring and learn how to operate any and all aftermarket components. If they're interfaced with the stock hardware then disable them and get the vehicle running properly stock first.

Quote:
its not a bad idea to have 2 oxygen sensors anyways is it? i mean the 7mge has 2. i will have to replace the oxygen sensor and try a new ecu temp sensor. take the new one back and get a replacement. A narrowband sensor is the stock oxygen sensor just after the turbo correct?
Actually, it is a bad idea if the computer doesn't have an input and programming for two. Only the California model has two narrowband sensors. Trying to feed two sensors into the one input on any of the other MKIII ECUs will just muddy the signal and the ECU will most likely error out and disregard the OX input altogether...

A narrowband is a type of sensor. Narrowband and wideband simply describe the scope which the sensor is capable of reading. A narrowband has such a short scope that it can really only tell if your mixture is stoichiometric or rich or lean. It can't tell you how far off you are. There's a lot to oxygen sensors and I'm not going to go into it. If you have a specific question about them and can't find the info then post up and I'll answer what I can if it's not too involved.

Depending on the make and model, your wideband controller might be able to calibrate to the sensor you've already got installed. Find out the make and model and download the owner's manual before you go and buy a new sensor. You'll need to know how to calibrate a sensor if you install a new one anyway.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote