View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awyman18 View Post
yea like i redid my HG, and i was gentle with it, but i ended up not retorque them for like...9,000 miles, and they didnt need any retorquing...lol but i was gentle with it at first
I hope you accounted for striction when you tried to retorque, especially after that much time. It'll make a bolt read 140ft lbs of torque when it was only ever torqued to 100ft lbs.... . A bolt which has been through a couple heat cycles will stick and need to be backed out 1/8 to 1/4 turn before being torqued further.

For those not in the know: Striction = Static friction and is VERY important to pay attention to when dealing with fasteners. Fasteners need to go in good and smooth. If you encounter striction while tightening a bolt you'll feel it stuttering or popping... This is B A D and tells you that the fastener isn't lubricated well enough and is going to torque below what you read on the wrench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
How gentle like for example is around how many r p ms should I shift? Also how much boost should I let it make
As I said, drive like a sane person. If you don't know any whom you can mimic, try cruising between 2K and 3K and shift by 4500 to 5000RPM. Essentially drive casually but not like my 90 year old neighbor and not like a teenage human male. There's nothing written in stone on the matter and it's less finicky than cutting new rings.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote