View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
serv92
Stock

serv92 is on a distinguished road
Default switch CPS pickups for distributor pickups???

I have an 1987 - 7MGTE Supra

The wiring on the original CAM sensor is very oiled down and brittle(breaking apart). I also have a really hard time starting it, sometimes it wont start till I play with the wires around the CAM sensor.

I notice that these CAM sensors are very expensive, especially compared to a used distributor. So I checked the wiring diagrams and made sure the wiring harness on the distributor matched the one from my old CAM sensor, also all the pickups physically match exactly. So I ordered a used distributor online.

My idea is that I can take sensors with the harness out of the the distributor and bolt them back in to my CAM sensor case.

Although...

Just recently someone pointed out to me that the resistance on the pickups from the cam sensor may differ from the pickups on the distributor.

I think that if the pickups from the distributor have a lower resistance than the pickups on the cam sensor then I might be taking a chance on blowing the inputs for the CAM sensor on the ECU.

Does anyone know if I can use the sensors from a (7MGE)distributor in my (7MGTE)CAM sensor?

Can I use it but I need to put a resistor or transistor in somewhere?

Can I just go with my original idea of just moving the pickups into the CAM sensor from the distributor?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
serv92 is offline   Reply With Quote