View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
bbullsj
Intake

bbullsj is on a distinguished road
Default 89 7mgte burning lots of oil

so ive got an 89 supra with a 7mgte. the head gasket blew externally. so i ripped it down, installed a new head and a new turbo. got it back together and it was leaking a ton of oil and have no oil pressure. found out that no cam seals were installed in the head. i bnought the head from a company that had a good reputation, and i dare say it but off ebay. i installed new cam seals and the car starts up and runs ok. seems to sputter a little b \it and smoke a ton out of the tail pipe. there was some residue of oil in the exhaust as the old turbo did leak oil on decel. also the compressor wheel was chewed up so i replaced it. i have no leaks what so ever. my temp gauge isnt reading as well as the oil pressure gauge but thats another issue. i did not touch the bottom end. i did pull a valve cover after it had been running and there is oil all over the came and whatnot so i assume the oil pressure is just as good as it was before it pulled it apart. i probably have the wrong wires hooked up to the sensors. the connectors are no more and just have basic connectors on it from the last previous owners.

so my issue is, as well as cam seals did whoever rebuilt the head forget to put valve seals in? can i change or install them with the head on or do i have to take it back off? what damage might be done with running it about 5 minutes tops with no valve seals? would it still be able to run without the seals and getting a bunch of oil in the cylinders? im really hitting a wall here and just want this car to be back on the road like it used to be.
bbullsj is offline   Reply With Quote