View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #50
Doat91
Stock

Doat91 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandavi View Post
I call that a super deal. Just get the engine looked at closely.. everything else is age/wear and tear. Plus.. it all depends on your plans for the car.

Make sure you put your hands down the rear quarter panels (there are access panels in the hatch area) and check the condition of the metal along the wheel wells and inside the quarter panels. Dirt+Water = rust holes which will eventually pop off the quarters if not given attention asap. Water can also come in via the brake light seals and hatch seal, but that usually lands up in the spare tire well (which you need to see WITHOUT the spare tire). A bit of blue from a cold engine start can mean a simple valve seal shrinkage which is common for the 7M engine.. and normally I wouldn't say this, but I have had 3 gas tanks leak so far, so it would be nice to see it with at least 65% fuel in the tank.

3200 is a good buy if the car is fairly straight and runs nice. Its repairs which can kill you financially depending on your level of expertise.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips I'll be sure to check that out, my friend has worked on this car and assures me it is solid I only want to change the head gasket to prevent it from blowing on me while driving somewhere. I plan on just getting the car to look clean and under 400hp so nothing crazy just simple mods that won't affect reliability too much but it seems that to reach about 400hp I'd need to get bigger injectors and an AFM since I would have to turn up the boost. I'd only turn up the boost for when I need it though otherwise it will be at stock level boost for just normal driving. I'll make a build thread and ask more technical questions in there about suspension and try to do the work myself but if I can't do it I know a guy who owns a shop that works on race motors and cars.
Doat91 is offline   Reply With Quote