Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 08-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
War
Stock

War is on a distinguished road
Default How to Gain a 300-400KW. :)

Hi Guys, I'm new here. I just got my 1995 Jza80 twinturbo Supra from Japan.
I just wanna know what is the the best Upgrades to put in my supra
to gain a power between 300-400KW. I just wanna get some Idea and Option before i go to a mechanic so they wont rip me off. hehe..

My Upgrade at the moment are:
18" TE37 works rims
Blitz SpecNur exhaust
Strut Bars [ Front and Back ]
Pivot Turbo Time
Blitz Boost Gage
Trust LS spec Intercooler
Tein CoilOver [ Bloody Stiff ]

Now I wanna start in the Engine so Hope you PRO guys can help me. Thanks! P.S. i live in Western Australia. Just incase somebody is also from here. : Thanks again! Rok On!
War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by War View Post
Hi Guys, I'm new here. I just got my 1995 Jza80 twinturbo Supra from Japan.
I just wanna know what is the the best Upgrades to put in my supra
to gain a power between 300-400KW. I just wanna get some Idea and Option before i go to a mechanic so they wont rip me off. hehe..

My Upgrade at the moment are:
18" TE37 works rims
Blitz SpecNur exhaust
Strut Bars [ Front and Back ]
Pivot Turbo Time
Blitz Boost Gage
Trust LS spec Intercooler
Tein CoilOver [ Bloody Stiff ]
Now I wanna start in the Engine so Hope you PRO guys can help me. Thanks! P.S. i live in Western Australia. Just incase somebody is also from here. : Thanks again! Rok On!
1) As you know (I hope ), the rims, strut bars, turbo timer and coilovers won't help with your horsepower increases.
2) At the 300kw level, the upgraded exhaust won't make any difference either. At the 400kw level, you may notice a small difference.
3) Don't get a rear strut bar - it's a waste of $, given the construction of the jza80 chassis
4) What you're missing from your list is: downpipe, GReddy BCC (to eliminate fuel cut), and a boost controller (to raise the boost).
More info here:
http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#bpu1
Note: My recommendations are all based on US-spec. Japanese-spec is pretty similar, but not a 100% match. For example, I believe an HKS FCD will work just fine on a Japanese-spec Mkiv (instead of the GReddy BCC), but I'm not totally sure about that. However, the downpipe and boost controller (or boost increase modification) are musts.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-03-2010 at 02:49 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
kylej
Stock

kylej is on a distinguished road

Too add to what he said, BPU (basic performance upgrades) are known to give the best hp/$ ratio. They are the Greddy BCC (highly recommended from what I've heard), exhaust, intake, bov, boost controller, and small things. Then there is BPU+ which is where you add things a big larger, I think Cam gears fall into this, and BPU++ is where you have everything except bigger turbos, fuel systems, and big things like that. In good conditions i've heard of just plain BPU supra's getting 380-410rwhp on a dyno, of course you lose some power going to the streets but that is nothing. if you google supra build there will be tutorials and/or guides that will help you get the highest hp/$ ratio while keeping your car practical (not running 22psi on stock turbos). Because you have a Jdm car the dicks turned the boost down, restricted with exhaust and stuff unlike the usdm which start at 330hp, jdm start at 280, however with bpu upgrades both cars will be exactly the same, you will just notice a lot bigger change from jdm-bpu than usdm-bpu
kylej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylej View Post
Too add to what he said, BPU (basic performance upgrades) are known to give the best hp/$ ratio. They are the Greddy BCC (highly recommended from what I've heard), exhaust, intake, bov, boost controller, and small things. Then there is BPU+ which is where you add things a big larger, I think Cam gears fall into this, and BPU++ is where you have everything except bigger turbos, fuel systems, and big things like that. In good conditions i've heard of just plain BPU supra's getting 380-410rwhp on a dyno, of course you lose some power going to the streets but that is nothing. if you google supra build there will be tutorials and/or guides that will help you get the highest hp/$ ratio while keeping your car practical (not running 22psi on stock turbos). Because you have a Jdm car the dicks turned the boost down, restricted with exhaust and stuff unlike the usdm which start at 330hp, jdm start at 280, however with bpu upgrades both cars will be exactly the same, you will just notice a lot bigger change from jdm-bpu than usdm-bpu
An aftermarket exhaust is not necessary for BPU.
USDM starts at 320hp (not 330).
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/9.../1993promo.jpg

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-23-2010 at 03:11 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote