Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
nailhead432
Stock

nailhead432 is on a distinguished road
Default JDM Engines

I've considered converting my 7m-ge to a 7m-gte and after doing a bunch of reading on this site, it seems wisest to just buy a 7m-gte rather than converting mine over to a turbo. Looking on ebay, it seems JDM offers a few different options of engines to choose from w/ varying prices. Has anyone delt with them or had any experience in this matter? Anything in particular I should stay away from? Any advise at all in the matter would be appreciated.
nailhead432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
supraflymkiii
3" Exhaust

supraflymkiii is on a distinguished road

i bought a jdm engine for my first supra turbo. I didn't have any problems with it, didn't burn a drop of oil or leak anything. also when i put it in i did a compression test on it and they were all within 3psi and at 160 psi
supraflymkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
scaggsj
3" Exhaust

scaggsj is on a distinguished road

Im thinking about the same thing, but the more I think about going to the 7MGTE I think it might be smarter to go the 2JZGTE because its a newer engine so parts will be cheaper and more available and I can go to OBD2 diagnostics.
1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac Turbo (Died)
scaggsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
supraflymkiii
3" Exhaust

supraflymkiii is on a distinguished road

If you have the money go ahead and do a 2JZ swap but it will definately cost a lot more. Will be more reliable too. As for the OBD2 you might be better off going with a pre96 2J with OBD1 that way you don't need to worry about the downstream O2 sensors and it will probably be easier to tune. Not sure but thats what I think.
supraflymkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
wstanek
3" Exhaust

wstanek is on a distinguished road
Smile

=D it will cost a lot for 2jz, but they can produce more hp on stock internals from what i hear.
wstanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Used is used... Personally, I wouldn't drop any used engine into my car without a rebuild... it's not worth the effort not to absolutely positive. A clean compression test doesn't negate the possibility of the engine being a few days away from rod knock. I've seen pictures of some people who've received engines with amazingly low miles that were complete trash and others which were in great shape. One guy over on SF got one which appeared no have never been run right after a MASSIVE build... lucky bastard.

The one thing I like about USDM is that I'm more likely to get at least a partial history.

I'd buy either, but I'd tear apart and inspect whatever I did go with before it went in.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
nailhead432
Stock

nailhead432 is on a distinguished road

The biggest thing for me is to make sure that I'm getting EVERYTHING I need to do the swap. Sure, little brackets and hoses aren't much, but they do add up and can blow a budget to hell...been down that road before. I may not rebuild a used engine, but I would at the very least check the clearances on the main and rod bearings and reseal the engine unless problems were found. Like most people on here, I can't leave well enough alone and will eventually (if not immediately) start throwing performance parts on the car. Really I just wanna make sure that I'm not going to get shafted by some online dealer if I were to get the wrong stuff or an incomplete engine.
nailhead432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I understand completely... BUT, The only way you're going to get everything is to buy a complete front clip (in which case you might as well go 1JZ). Otherwise keep in mind that on top of what most importers include you'll still most likely need the rest of the supporting electronics from other locations in the engine bay (igniter, injector resistor pack (if you've got a pre89 N/A your existing one should work fine) for example) as well as the oil cooling system components, intercooler piping and components, downpipe and other bits and pieces... They may be included, but the time I had looked into it these parts were never guaranteed to be present. Be sure they're included if that's part of how you're judging the price.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote