View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi123 View Post
Car about 2 weeks ago flicked up an engine light and wouldn't let me go past 2000rpms. Tried to get car to go past 2000rpm few times, then sat behind traffic for 5 minutes, car then ran as normal.

Drove car for further 2 weeks, no problems. Ran sweet as.

Then did a short run 3 miles. Stopped car, did shopping. Then drove back 1/2 mile engine light came on, all other lights came on also. Car stopped dead, power steering stopped working. Tried to re-start, but then cut revs to 0rpm and stalled, all lights on. Tried again after 5 mins, got it about 30 yards then stopped. Called the AA and let car sit for 1h 20mins. AA started car, drove fine for 1 mile. Then we drove back home, 3 miles. No problems.

Did the paperclip method diagnostic - pulled codes 14 and 24.

Code Description Causes
14 Ignition Signal Circuit
Open or short in IGF circuit from ignitor at ECU
Ignitor
ECU

Code Description Causes
24 Intake Air Temp Sensor Circuit
Open or short in intake air temp sensor circuit
intake air temp sensor
ECU

The car has a TOMS ECU and a MPH converter attached, stock twins, boost controller Blitz.

Should be worth noting I had a rad failure about 3 months ago, fluid all over the engine bay. I am not sure if this has had some effect, e.g.corroding some connector or something.

As far as I can see it's either intake Air temp sensor, Ignitor or ECU.

Ignitor symptoms seem to be car won't start - my car starts fine but randomly dies. Not sure if this is the issues.

My plan of action is to look is to trace the wires back to the ignitor (where is this btw?).

Otherwise, please help with some suggestions to fix.
The ignitor is in the engine bay, near the fuse box. It looks about the size of a pack of cigarettes, except it's all black.

Can you bypass or replace the Toms ecu and go back to a bone-stock configuration? Regardless, I'd suggest checking the ecu<->harness connection as one of your troubleshooting steps. Also check all of the ground wires that have been tapped into near the ecu - one of the locations where problems occur in modified Mkiv's is the ground connection near the ecu over towards the front of the door.

Where can I read more about the Toms ecu? Can you share a link?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-22-2011 at 04:29 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote