View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 06:46 PM   #16
iwantasupra
Stock

iwantasupra is on a distinguished road

Huh...that's funny, I didn't know Supras were twin-turbo'd sequentially...smaller into a bigger. Most twin turbo setups just have equal sized turbos running off half the cylinders each. I've seen a lot of under-the-hood pics of Supras w/ dual air filters, which would obviously be a true twin-turbo setup. There's a video of a Supra w/ twin Guilly T04s, it says "this is what 1000hp sounds like" at the beginning. So w/ a stock Supra TT, there's only one intake track...and two turbos in line, never knew that. That's pretty much how pull-modded diesels run, when they run twins they run them sequentially. U might see (but very rarely) a diesel w/ 3 turbos in line...usually there's no room for that tho. One of my buddies called me one night and told me to come down to this place, a guy had a Dodge pushing 220psi...nuts. Talk about a custom boost gauge. I know on VR-4s and StealthTTs, it's twin-turbo'd, but a single unit. So basically u have two turbos w/ the exhaust housings lined up next to each other, compressor housings on the outside, and both run on the same shaft. So if one blows out...they're both out.

As far as finding a MKIV TT 6-speed, I dunno if I can find one for the price I'm searching for. There's one in AZ that's priced at $14K, but I'm thinkin' this one is a scam as well. The guy's rushing me on a deposit just like the other one, asked the EXACT same deposit amount, and the car is a beauty, has 525rwhp, but for $14K? Also, I ran a google search on his mods list, this Supra came up...everything, cosmetics, body, engine work, it's all the same. http://www.payntechnologies.com/cars/alexeipiljan.html The car is supposedly being sold from AZ, but the tuning shop that displayed it is in Troy, MI. And when I asked the seller where he did the tuning, he didn't answer. Fishy? Yep.

The car I'm selling is a '97 850 R...$6K in the tranny, $6K in the sound, $2K in the suspension, $2K in wheels and tires, $1K in exterior/interior cosmetics, $500 in brake upgrades, $1,600 for the K40 Radar/laser system, $4K in engine work, intake, exhaust, turbo, chip, MBC, BOV, blanking plate, RIP kit. So it's got over $20K put into it, and it's in beautiful shape. KBB is $10,295, but w/ $20,000+ in it, I should at least get $10,500, possibly up to $12K. The previous owner said he'd buy it back, but he's not giving me a lot of feedback on it. So I'm gonna finish up a few things, get the bigger turbo on, finish up the side exhaust, get my new front sway bar w/ droplinks, new strut mounts and springs seats, and about 20 hours worth of detailing and put it on the net for sale. 850 Rs are extremely rare...'95 was the T-5R, '96-97 was split into the T-5 and R...each year only 2,000 were shipped to the U.S. No 5-spds, all automatics (b/c Volvo is gay). 5-spds w/ LSD were sent to Canada (Euro specs), but there were less than 50 total shipped to Canada. M59 swap is close to $5K w/ labor, and it's straight bolt up. So...not gonna do that. I'll get what I can outta' the car, and if I can't find a MKIV SupraTT 6-speed in good condition for $15K or less, I'll just get an LS1 WS6 and cam it...400rwhp and I'm done. I'd still rather have the Supra tho, or I might look at some '93-95 RX-7s...twin turbos of course.

edit: I should probably change the thread title to "NOT getting a Supra." I'm guessing I won't find a MKIV twin-turbo 6-speed w/ a targa top for less than $20K...am I right by saying that?

Last edited by iwantasupra; 10-13-2005 at 07:51 PM.
iwantasupra is offline   Reply With Quote